Irfan Ahmed, Hong Kong's all-rounder, has been charged and provisionally suspended by the International Cricket Council after a breach of the Anti-Corruption Code, failing to report an offer made to him by an alleged match-fixer.Irfan, who was due to feature in the World Twenry20 in India in March, now faces the possibility of a ban between two to five years if found guilty.He was charged on the basis of Article 2.4.2 of the ICC Anti-Corruption Code which states that: "Failing to disclose to the ACSU (without undue delay) full details of any approaches or invitations received by the Participant to engage in conduct that would amount to a breach of the Anti-Corruption Code."
Tuesday, 12 January 2016
NEW
Irfan Ahmed, Hong Kong's all-rounder, has been charged and provisionally suspended by the International Cricket Council after a breach of the Anti-Corruption Code, failing to report an offer made to him by an alleged match-fixer.Irfan, who was due to feature in the World Twenry20 in India in March, now faces the possibility of a ban between two to five years if found guilty.He was charged on the basis of Article 2.4.2 of the ICC Anti-Corruption Code which states that: "Failing to disclose to the ACSU (without undue delay) full details of any approaches or invitations received by the Participant to engage in conduct that would amount to a breach of the Anti-Corruption Code."
David Richardson, the International Cricket Council's (ICC) chief executive, believes that Chris Gayle's controversial comments during the Big Bash League 2015-16 will hardly affect cricket and that women's involvement in the sport is a massive plus for the game."Gayle comments in BBL could have been avoided. But I think cricket does not need to worry about it. Cricket can easily move on from here on without worrying," Richardson said on Monday (January 11). Gayle apologized and was subsequently fined 10,000 Australian dollars for comments viewed as inappropriate on live television."Of the viewership of ICC events, 40 percent of them are women and it is much higher when it comes to T20s. It is a strategy to engage women in the game more through T20. It is not about females watching the game but about world audience watching women play," Richardson said."I can say that worldwide more than one million women are playing and the quality of the game is also increasing day by day. In World Cup events, earlier England and Australia used to win; now we will find India, West Indies, South Africa winning events. Very proud of women's cricket and I hope it will increase day by day."
Monday, 11 January 2016
With New Zealand thumping Sri Lanka by nine wickets in the second T20I at Eden Park, Auckland on Saturday (January 10), West Indies have secured the No. 1 spot in the ICC Twenty20 International (T20I) rankings.West Indies are perched at the top of the world rankings with 118.36 points. Australia are placed second and are marginally ahead of Sri Lanka on decimal points. At the start of the T20I series against New Zealand, Sri Lanka were ahead of the second placed West Indies by seven points. However, as Sri Lanka lost both their games in New Zealand, they have slipped to third.Meanwhile, England, South Africa, New Zealand and Pakistan are caught in a mid-table tussle, with just three points separating the fourth ranked England and the seventh placed Pakistan.
Clinical bowling helped Brisbane Heat restrict Sydney Sixers to 156, in their chase of 163 at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Sunday (January 10), to register their second victory in Big Bash League (BBL) 2015-16. However, the narrow six-run margin of victory meant the visitors remained at the bottom of the points table.Last year's runner-up, Sixers were facing bottom-placed Brisbane in a must-win clash to keep their campaign alive, but remained unsuccessful in front of a packed home crowd. Set to chase 163, Sydney had a shaky start, losing their opener Ed Cowan in the third over and No. 3 bat Nick Larkin in the eighth. The move to promote Sean Abbott up the order failed to click as the all-rounder was run out for 1, leaving the home team reeling at 50 for three.Michael Lumb and Brad Haddin took it upon themselves to reconstruct the chase. The duo played freely, adding 49 in a partnership that lasted 31 deliveries. Lumb was the first to depart of the two, yorked by Folors three short of a deserving fifty, leaving Sixers another 64 short of the target with 37 balls remaining.
Haddin got a reprieve when Mitchell Swepson grassed a dolly in the long-off region. The Sydney Sixers skipper picked a lucky boundary next as Lendl Simmons misjudged a catch that spilled and crossed the ropes. Third time unlucky, however, Haddin had to depart as Swepson mad amends with a stunning diving catch to his right to end his fireworks on 42.
With just six group-stage fixtures of the Big Bash League (BBL) 2015-16 to play out, pressure is set mount and the need to jostle for a top-four spot is bound to rise up on the priority list. For the fourth-placed Sydney Thunder and the sixth-placed Melbourne Renegades, their clash in the Sydney Showdown Stadium on Tuesday (January 11) comes as an opportunity to strengthen their chances of making it to the knock-outs. Thunder have gone from a rollicking start - with three consecutive wins - to a continued slump - with three successive defeats - but have reasons to be optimistic before going up against the Renegades as Usman Khawaja returns and Michael Hussey is in race against time to regain fitness.Hussey, skipper of Thunder, is his team's leading run-scorer this season with 223 at at an average of 74.3. The 40-year-old veteran is said to have passed his latest fitness test on Saturday and will be assessed on the morning of the fixture. Khawaja returns to the side after the tour of West Indies, where he amassed scores of 174, 9, 121, 144 and 56.
Saturday, 9 January 2016
Following a thumping 74-run victory over Western Australia XI in the first warm-up fixture in Perth on Saturday (January 8), Shikhar Dhawan, the Indian opener, has praised Barinder Singh Sran, the rookie pacer, stating that the left-armer looks like a 'good prospect for India'. Sran, who has 32 wickets in 11 first class matches for Punjab, claimed figures of 2 for 24 on Saturday."It was a great boost for Beri, actually I call him by that name. It always nice to get two wickets (2-24). With time, he will get more mature as he gains experience. He is fit and strong. He looks to be a good prospect for India," Dhawan told reporters.After MS Dhoni opted to bat first in the T20, Dhawan showed signs of his old self, smashing three sixes and eight fours in his 46-ball knock of 74. Dhawan also put on a 100-run stand with Virat Kohli, who smashed a 44-ball essay of 74. The left-handed opener, who has had a topsy-turvy 2015 with respect to his batting form, was delighted with the way he has begun Down Under.
Having just made a comeback after a long lay-off, Mohammed Shami, the Indian pacer, reportedly suffered another injury during India's first warm-up fixture against Western Australia XI on Friday (January 8). Shami, who did not bowl in India's 74-run victory in the Twenty20 International (T20I) tour game, hurt his hamstring in training.According to a report of Sportstar, Shami's condition will be assessed on Saturday (January 9) when India play their second warm-up tie - a 50-over clash. It is understood that Jasprit Bumrah, the Gujarat pacer, has been put on standby. The lanky fast bowler has made big strides in the ongoing domestic season, finishing as the highest wicket-taker in the Vijay Hazare trophy (21 wickets in 9 matches) as Gujarat were crowned champions.






